The Mornin' Mail is
published every weekday except major holidays
Monday, November 3, 2008 Volume XVII, Number
Did Ya Know?... The
Carthage Crisis Center will present a free
furniture and appliance distribution on
Saturday, November 8, 2008 from 10 a.m. until
12 noon at the corner of Main and 2nd Street.
Furniture donations will be accepted between
6 and 9:30 a.m. on November 8. For more
information call 358-3533.
Did Ya Know?... In
recognition of National Diabetes Education
Week (Nov. 2-8) McCune-Brooks Regional
Hospital is offering a free glucose screen on
Tuesdays throughout November from 8 to 10
a.m. Screening will be held in the outpatient
laboratory inside the main entrance. Water
only for 8-12 hours prior to testing.
Hospital Nurse: "You say
that financial difficulties brought you
Patient: "Yes. I saw my tailor coming,
crossed the road to avoid him, and halfway across
I saw another creditor on the other side. I did
not know what to do, hesitated, and got hit by a
There was once a man who was
out gunning in the Alps. Sighting an eagle, he
took aim and brought the bird down. As he was
retrieving his game, a second man rode up on a
"My good man," said the man on the
horse to the hunter, "you should have saved
your shot. The fall alone would have killed the
A Chronological Record of Events as they have
Transpired in the City and County since our last Issue.
Automobile Was Struck.
The case of J.F. Dunwoody
against the M. K. & T. Railway in Division No. 2 of
the circuit court was given to the jury yesterday and a
verdict fixing damages in the sum of $1,300 was returned.
Dunwoody alleged that while in his automobile he was
struck by a train of the defendant corporation and asked
damages in the sum of $1,900. In this court the plaintiff
sued for personal injuries and damages to his machine.
How to Cure Skin
The germs and their
poisons must be drawn to the surface of the skin and
destroyed. Zemo and Zemo will do this and cure any case
of skin and scalp disease, no matter from what cause or
of how long standing. Write for sample. E.W. Rose Med.
Co., St. Louis, Mo. See photos of cures and window or
show case display at your local drug store.
A multitude of
costumed children and their parents were present
on the Historic Carthage Square on Friday
afternoon for the annual Treats on the Square
hosted by the Carthage Chamber of Commerce.
Downtown merchants distributed candy to the
children from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., and a costume
contest was held at 4:00 p.m.
Football Game Tickets.
The state playoff
game between Carthage High School football team
and Neosho will be held on Wednesday, November 5
at 7:00 p.m. in Neosho. Tickets for the game are
scheduled to go on sale beginning Monday,
November 3 at 9:00 a.m., available at the
Carthage High School main office and the Central
office. Tickets cost $5.00.
In 2007 the
Carthage R-9 School District submitted an
application to the Missouri Department of
Elementary and Secondary Education for a 50/50
match funding grant for construction of a
technical center near the new high school.
Earlier this year the state of Missouri approved
House Bill 2023, which includes the $2,150,000
allocation requested for construction of the new
technical center. The Kent and Mary Steadley
Memorial Trust has committed the local matching
funds, payable in installments over the next 15
years. Together these grants will provide
$4,300,000 for phase one of construction of the
with R-9 personnel, plans for the new technical
center are being developed by
Hight.Jackson.Associates, the districts
architects, and bids will be solicited in
February 2009. The first phase of construction
will begin in April 2009 with targeted occupancy
by May 2010. The facility will be completed in
stages as additional funding is identified.
Technical Center serves Carthage students,
students from other area school districts, and
adults who seek to acquire new skills and enter
the workforce. Emphasis is placed on high demand,
high paying fields.
of this new technical center has been made
possible through the Steadley Trust. We are
grateful for the generosity of Kent and Mary
Steadley and the faithful support of the Steadley
Trust Advisory Board. Through them countless
opportunities have been provided for our students
and our community. We are also grateful for the
support of Senator Gary Nodler, Representative
Steve Hunter, and Representative-elect Tom
Flanigan as this bill was processed through the
Missouri General Assembly.
The time change is never an easy transition.
I tried to sleep in the extra
hour on Sunday, but my internal clock was wide
awake. After tossin and turnin for a
half hour or so, I rambled around the house and
waited for the day to catch up.
Everthing was proceeding
fairly well, the clocks were all changed the
night before. It looked as though it would be
fairly painless except for the early darkness.
I went for my second cup of
coffee, and discovered the timer for the pot was
overlooked. Luke warm java and the timer was shut
My system will adjust in a
couple a weeks as usual, just in time for the
annual holiday stress.
This is some fact, but mostly,
Just Jake Talkin.
Oldies & Oddities
Is A Hammer
Trips Circuit Breaker
Q: I have a space
heater that, every time I turn it on, causes the
circuit to shut off almost immediately. Is there
something wrong with the wiring in my house? --
David L., Lexington, Ky.
A: My first
inclination is that something is wrong with the
space heater, not the wiring. Many space heaters
draw a lot of power, but a heater that regularly
trips circuits may be faulty.
Run through a
short checklist first: Do you plug the heater
into the same wall outlet every time, or have you
tried it throughout the house? Are there other
electrical appliances sharing the same circuit?
Is the space heater in good condition and less
than 10 years old? Do the plug and power cord get
very hot when using the heater? Is the outlet
being used in good condition? Does the
heaters plug fit snugly into it? Does any
other appliance trip the circuit when plugged
If you cannot find
anything wrong with either the space heater or
the outlet, and there are few or no other
appliances sharing the circuit, first take the
space heater to an appliance service center to be
checked by a professional (never try to repair a
space heater yourself).
Should nothing be
found wrong with the space heater, contact an
electrician to inspect your homes wiring.
Some quick tips on
using portable space heaters safely: Never place
a heater on furniture; place it on the floor
instead. Clear several feet of space around the
heater. Dont run the power cord underneath
a rug, and avoid using an extension cord, if
possible. If you must use one, use only a UL- or
ETL-rated extension cord marked No. 12 or No. 14
A WG (indicating the wire gauge).
HOME TIP: Safety
is paramount when using space heaters, and the
U.S. government publishes information on keeping
yourself safe when using one. Information is
available online at
courtesy of the Consumer Product Safety
Copyright 1997-2008 by Heritage
Publishing. All rights reserved.