The Mornin' Mail is published every weekday except major holidays
Monday, January 5, 2009, Volume XVII, Number 138

did ya know?

Did Ya Know?... McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital will hold an eduction/support group meeting for family members and caregivers of those with Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders Jan. 4. from 2 to 3 p.m. in the hospital community room. Topic: Ten Ways to be a Healthier Caregiver. Call 359-1832 for more information.

Did Ya Know?... Carthage Public Library’s Wednesday morning preschool story time will be back in session on January 7th at 10:00.

today's laugh

The current tax code is harder to understand than Bob Dylan reading Finnegans Wake in a wind tunnel. - Dennis Miller

President Johnson was given a long, flowery introduction before giving a speech in Michigan. When the President arose to speak, he said, "I wish my parents were here to hear that introduction. My father would have enjoyed it. And my mother would have believed it."

I think I’m getting over my insomnia. The other day my foot went to sleep.

On the driver’s window of my rental car was a sign that read, "This vehicle is protected by a passive security system." I didn’t know what that meant, until I touched the door and heard, "Aw, c’mon, go away. Pleeeease." - Robert A. Alper

A Chronological Record of Events as they have Transpired in the City and County since our last Issue.

Benjamin Warren Builds Skyscrapers

Benjamin Warren, a former Carthage boy who is now a resident of Kansas City, returned home this morning after a short visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James A. Warren of West Walnut street. Benjamin Warren now foreman for a big construction company which makes a specialty of erecting skyscraper business buildings. He has been advanced rapidly in his work and is making great success of his undertakings.

Mrs. J.W. Blakesley of South Grant street has returned from a visit during the Christmas Holidays with her husband’s sister, Mrs. H.R. Finke of Sedalia. Mr. Blakesley, who had a holiday vacation from his duties as a traveling salesman, was with his wife during her Sedalia stay.

Jerry N. Taylor has bought of A. H. Boyder his brick residency property on the north side of Central Avenue, east of Fulton Street. The price paid was $3000.


Today's Feature

Committee To Continue Discussion.

The City Council Public Services Committee is scheduled to meet this evening at 7:00 p.m. in the Parks Department office in Municipal Park. The committee is slated to continue its discussion regarding a proposal to make all restaurants in Carthage smoke-free.

Committee member Timothy Teed originally initiated the proposal, and during the previous meeting the committee reviewed some of the general entailments. Teed noted that he did not intend for the ordinance to impact bars or other public places, only restaurants.

The committee agreed at that point to continue discussions in the New Year, after gathering further information about the ramifications of establishing a smoke-free ordinance. Committee Chair Bill Welch asked Teed to contact the owners of restaurants that currently allow smoking to get their opinions on the proposal.

During last month’s meeting the committee also discussed the possibility of obtaining copies of similar ordinances from other cities in order to review the wording used, and allow time for public input, before continuing its discussions.

Just Jake Talkin'

With all the advances in technology, it’s a bit startlin’ to see products that don’t endure continual improvements. It is possible though, I suppose, that sometimes the best or only way to make somethin’ work was thought of right off the bat.

The old favorite, the mouse trap, may be one of those things. You can put a fancy label on it and call it new and improved, but basically it’s still just a board with a spring on it.

‘Nother thing that’d be hard to improve is the spoon. Sure, you can make it a soup spoon or a spoon with a long handle, but it’s still just a little scoop.

The light bulb continues to be adapted, but what a lotta folks don’t realize is that Edison already found 50,000 ways it wouldn’t work. Saved ‘em all a lot of time, I guess.

This is some fact, but mostly,

Just Jake Talkin’.

Mornin' Mail
This Is A Hammer
By Samantha Mazzotta

Winter Boosts Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Q: I wanted to write in hopes that you will remind readers how dangerous portable generators are when not used properly. Already this winter, three people in New England have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning because they were running unventilated generators after last month’s ice storm. Please remind people to be safe! -- Jack in Concord, N.H.

A: Many thanks for the heads-up, Jack! Portable generators are just one item that produces carbon monoxide. Other appliances that can be a problem are home furnaces and fireplaces -- basically, any device that uses combustion to produce heat, because that item also produces exhaust.

Even worse, carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless and odorless, and CO poisoning can happen very quickly. So how does one prevent being overcome by CO?

The best defense is a carbon monoxide detector with a battery backup, placed near sleeping or living areas of your home. This inexpensive item will detect dangerous CO levels before they can affect a home’s residents. Like a smoke detector, it should be tested monthly and the battery replaced at least once a year.

The second best defense is properly installed and vented appliances that are maintained regularly.

Third, read the instructions before using any combustion-based appliance, like a heater or generator. Never use charcoal grills indoors. Never run generators indoors. Don’t run the car in a closed garage.

Finally, if the CO detector goes off or you or others begin experiencing the symptoms of initial CO poisoning -- dizziness, headache, fatigue, nausea, irregular breathing -- get everyone, including pets, out of the house immediately and contact emergency services.

HOME TIP: CO poisoning can occur very quickly. If your home’s CO detector sounds the alarm or you experience symptoms, don’t take chances -- get everyone out of the house immediately and call 911.

Copyright 1997-2009 by Heritage Publishing. All rights reserved.