Three Bills Defeated.
The City Council
overwhelming opposed shrinking the
two-hour no parking district that
includes the Square and surrounding
streets during the regular Council
meeting Tuesday evening.
Only two of the ten
members, Bill Welch and Wayne Campbell,
voted for the proposal. They both serve
on the Public Safety Committee that
recommended the bill. Council member
Diane Sharits, who was the most vocal
opposition heard, along with T.J. Teed,
Claude Newport, Bill Fortune, Dan Rife,
Brent Greninger, Larry Ross and John
Studebaker voted against.
A separate Council bill
that would have allowed residents on the
Square to purchase parking permits for
$30 a month was also defeated by a 6 to 4
vote. Council members Newport and Fortune
voted along with Campbell and Welch for
In a somewhat unusual
turn of events for this sitting Council,
a third Council bill was defeated, this
one recommended by the Planning, Zoning,
and Historic Preservation Committee. The
ordinance would have rezoned some
property in the Pleasant Hills
Subdivision to allow duplexes.
Suspected in Michael Jackson Death
Subject of Recall
by Sheri Fink,
Results of Michael
Jacksons toxicology tests have not
yet been released, but suspicions have
centered on the powerful anesthetic and
sedative drug propofol, also known by the
brand name Diprivan. It was reportedly
found in Jacksons house, and a
nurse who worked with him said he begged
for propofol to help him sleep.
Now, some lots of
propofol are being recalled for
Tuesday, the Centers
for Disease Control and the Food and Drug
Administration advised clinicians
immediately to stop using propofol from
two lots found to be tainted with
elevated levels of endotoxin, a toxin
made by bacteria. Regulators said Teva
Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer, had
begun a voluntary recall of the lots.
Several drug companies
are licensed to produce propofol in the
FDA spokesperson Karen
Riley said the agencys
investigators were currently at the
Irvine, Calif., plant where the tainted
propofol was manufactured. She was
unaware of the size of the lots. At least
39 patients had been affected in Florida,
Arizona and Missouri since May, Riley
The CDCs lead
investigator on the case, Dr. Arjun
Srinivasan, said clinicians across the
country are being urged to check their
inventories because the product was
Srinivasan said the
agency received an initial report about
the drug from an outpatient surgery
center on June 29. The Missouri center
had 20 cases of patients who developed
high fevers and muscle aches shortly
after receiving the drug.
The CDC put out word to
the FDA, state and local health agencies
and providers. That quickly led to
discovery of the tainted propofol and
Mondays warning, Srinivasan said.
All patients known to
have been affected have recovered, he
said. However, at high doses, endotoxins
can cause a sequence of reactions,
beginning with fever and progressing to
shock and death.
There is no
confirmation on whether Jackson received
propofol before his death or whether, if
so, the drugs reportedly found at his
home came from one of the two tainted
had no immediate details.
to find out about this before we
did," a Teva customer service
representative said today at noon.
"We just found out about this an
hour ago." She said company
officials were meeting about the recall
and would have a statement later today.
The drug is typically
used to anesthetize patients for
procedures such as colonoscopies. It can
be dangerous if it is not administered
carefully in a medical setting, and
should not be used as a sleep aid.
spokesperson Denise Bradley said the
company had been contacted by the U.S.
Drug Enforcement Administration in
connection with the agencys
investigation into Jacksons death.
"We can confirm
that the product we were called about by
the DEA does not have the same lot
numbers as the product we are
recalling," Bradley said.
A DEA spokesman said he
wasnt immediately able to confirm
or deny Bradleys account. To date,
the agency hasnt officially said it
is investigating circumstances around
Jacksons death and reports that
numerous doctors may have prescribed
strong sedatives and other drugs for the
Bradley said 57,620
vials of propofol were being voluntarily
recalled by the company. The affected
drugs were manufactured early this year.
The contamination problem is believed to
be confined to only the two lots, she
Bradley had no
information on the source of the
endotoxin contamination and what steps,
if any, the company has taken to address