The Mornin' Mail is published every weekday except major holidays
Monday, December 12, 2005 Volume XIV, Number 123

did ya know?

Did Ya Know?... A blood drive will be held in the Grace Epioscopal Church, 820 Howard, Carthage on Thursday, December 15 from 1:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday, December 16 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Please bring your photo ID.

Did Ya Know?... The Salvation Army is looking for volunteers to ring bells at our Seven Locations. The locations we need volunteers at are; Walmart (North and South doors), Dollar General on Grand, Dollar General on Central, Radio Shack, Walgreens and Carthage True Value. Please call Captain Everling or Bess Wilkes at 417-358-2262 to sign up.

today's laugh

A dog ran into a butcher’s shop, grabbed a string of sausages, and ran back out again. The irate butcher recognized the dog as belong to one of his regular customers, a lawyer, so that afternoon he went to the lawyer’s office and asked him, "If a dog steals meat from my store, do I have the right to demand payment from the dog’s owner?"

The lawyer replied, "Yes, absolutely."

"Well," said the butcher, "you owe me nine dollars for the sausages your dog stole this morning."

The lawyer sighed and wrote out a check for $9.

A week later the butcher received an envelope from the lawyer containing a bill for $50 for consultation.

A Chronological Record of Events as they have Transpired in the City and County since our last Issue.

Street Car Mail Service.

An Inspector Here - Indications Are That the System Will Be Installed.

That interurban electric line mail service first agitated a year ago and since thought to have died, bobs up serenely again and indications are that it will come to pass.

Yesterday C.A. Carlton, an inspector direct from the postal department at Washington, D.C. arrived in the district to investigate the feasibility of the proposed system. The idea os that there should be two mails a day by way of the Southwest Missouri Electric Railway giving service to Carthage, Carterville, Webb City, Joplin, Galena and probably Prosperity and Duenweg.

Inspector Charlton is sent out for not other purpose at this time than to investigate this southwest Missouri petition. From the department the electric cities postmasters have orders to send in reports of the amounts of mail matter sent daily between these points. These things indicate that the plan is certainly being seriously considered.

Of course, Inspector Charlton does not commit himself regarding what his report will be. He is quoted as saying that the department will not hesitate a minute in installing the new system should the volume of business justify it. He expects to complete his investigation by tomorrow and will forward his report soon. An early reply is respected.

Beware of Ointments that Contain Mercury.

Mercury will surely destroy the sense of smell and completely derange the whole system when entering it through the mucous surfaces. Such articles should never be used except on prescriptions from reputable physicians as the damage they will do is tenfold to the good you can derive from them.


Today's Feature

Two One-Acts at Stone’s Throw.

News release

There are changes concerning the current production at Stones Throw Dinner Theatre. The previously scheduled show "No Mother to Guide Her" featuring the Three Divas will not be performed. Two one-act plays will be performed instead.

The new dates are December 16th, 17th and 18th. For this show only, the cost will be $15.00 per ticket which includes dinner and the show. Reservations are required and may be made by calling Stone’s Throw Theatre at 417-358-9665 or Betty Bell at 417-358-7268 or by e-mailing reservations to The box office will open beginning, December 5th from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon.

The two plays are as follows; "The Audition" Written and Directed by Rick Schwab. A play with in a play, the nation is under a blanket of snow and the professional act scheduled to come in and perform is unable to come due to the blizzard. The community rallies around the theatre to ensure that the show goes on. This Show is dedicated to the memory of Henry Heckert and;

“A Visit from St. Nicholas” by Clement Clarke Moore Adapted by Alesha Gilleland-Lindeman. James Taylor has been deployed to Iraq and for the first time in 18 years his family will celebrate Christmas without him. Jimmy takes his fathers role, the unofficial man of the house, but finds there is still magic to Christmas. With a visit from Santa and a call from Iraq this Christmas is still one to be remembered.

Stench Report:

No Stench Reported

Just Jake Talkin'
I’ve often heard that bad luck comes in threes. Several years ago, after never bein’ in a fender bender, within a two month period our family was involved in three accidents. None of ‘em had any injuries, but the vehicles were none the better.

We were actually glad the third one came so quick so we could get out of the stress of waitin’ on that last act of bad luck to be over. Nothin’ worse than waitin’ on that final blow.

Apparently the clump of accidents was my allotment for a while. I haven’t been in a traffic related accident since. I backed into my daughter’s truck in the parkin’ lot a couple years back, but I’m still safe on the streets. Oh yea, and that deer prob’ly wouldn’t consider my drivin’ non-hazardous. If you’re in a vehicle, on the street, you’re safe.

This is some fact, but mostly,

Just Jake Talkin’.

Oldies & Oddities Mall
This Is A Hammer
by Samantha Mazzotta

Carbon Monoxide Can be Deadly

Q: This time of year, carbon monoxide in the home gets a lot of media attention. How does this gas enter the home, and how do I detect it? — James A., Stamford, Conn.

A: Forced-air furnaces that burn oil or natural gas for fuel also generate carbon monoxide, a byproduct of the combustion process. A well-maintained furnace produces less of this colorless, odorless gas, and vents it through the exhaust flue so that it doesn’t enter the living spaces of the house. Older systems that aren’t properly maintained are the most likely to leak carbon monoxide.

The best defense against this gas is a carbon-monoxide detector — especially if you’re unable to inspect the heating system yourself, such as in an apartment building. Place a detector outside the bedroom and check it monthly to make sure it’s operating.

Poor ventilation is another method that helps carbon monoxide enter the home. A room that is extremely stuffy and humid (condensation forms inside the windows) is not properly ventilated and can make the effects of a leak even worse. Call a furnace repair service to test the air in your home, or, if you live in an apartment, inform the management and ask them to address the problem quickly. If you or a family member feels dizzy or nauseated, have everyone go outside and call the fire department.

Most homeowners would rather be proactive when it comes to protecting their families from this gas. The best way to do this is to inspect your heating system for problems.

Check the exhaust flue, the area around the burner mounting flange, the combustion chamber’s cover plate and the fire door. These are all sources of carbon monoxide leaks. Look for visible damage, holes or rusted portions, especially in the flue.

To check for smaller leaks, hold a lighted candle along the joints in the flue and the seams of each of the components mentioned above. The flame will be drawn toward leaks.

Replace damaged components or damaged flue sections completely — don’t try to patch them. Be sure to shut off the furnace burner and ventilate the area that you’re working on. Purchase replacement sections and refractory furnace cement at a home-improvement center or hardware store.

If the leak is occurring at a seam in the flue, patch the seam with furnace cement. Turn off the burner and let the furnace cool completely. Then, remove dirt or rust from around the area with a wire brush and apply furnace cement, smoothing it on with a putty knife.

A leak in the mounting flange can be stopped by loosening it, scraping away the decayed gasket, and applying furnace cement to the edge. Tighten it firmly back in place. Test the repairs by turning the furnace back on and holding a lighted candle to the repair area. If the flame doesn’t flicker or waver, it’s fixed!


Carbon-monoxide detectors are lifesavers. Even if your furnace is in perfect condition, place a detector in your home and get peace of mind for just a few dollars.

Copyright 1997-2005 by Heritage Publishing. All rights reserved.